A surge protector on an ungrounded outlet is probably not the best idea to protect your electrical equipment. With a grounded line a surge protector sounds like a good idea as it will protect your electric items from frying. But without the ground wire, the best it can do is arrest the transient spikes in the line which is not enough.
Will A Surge Protector Work On An Ungrounded Outlet?
A surge protector is an electrical safety device that protects electric equipment from power surge and lightning. It also prevents any kind of health hazard by protecting against high voltage shock and electric fire. But all of these will only work if the outlet it’s plug into is grounded.
A grounding wire is an additional wire in the outlets that connect it to the earth. When any power surges happen, the current can escape the insulated line. So, it looks for any alternate shortcut path to pass through. and without the grounding wire, it finds any electric components around and pass through it which can be dangerous.
So, when a surge protector is plugged into the outlet it directs the current back to the grounding wire preventing any possible damage. But that’s only when the outlet has a ground wire. Otherwise, the protector may cancel some spikes in the line but that’s all it can do. So, you still can potentially fry your electronics.
What Happens If You Use An Ungrounded Outlet?
When it comes to electricity and power, the safety of yourself. As random surges happen in the line, it can be dangerous for yourself and the electric equipment at home. And an ungrounded line increases these risks even more. So, it’s very dangerous to use an ungrounded outlet.
Generally, the electric wires in a line are insulated to prevent the current from escaping the designed route. However, when power surges happen, the current can escape the insulated wire and flows through any other available conductor route.
Now, if the item is not designed for such high current flow it can cause sparks, arching, etc. moreover, it can cause an electrical fire along with that equipment which can lead to an even bigger fire. Also, sometimes high current flows through an ungrounded outlet and fries the electrical items connected to the outlet.
Sometimes, faulty wires inside the wall can start a fire along the wall. If there are any nearby furniture and household items, that can also work as an alternate way for the current potentially causing a fire.
As explained in the previous point, we know that the electric wires are generally wrapped into insulators. It prevents the current from going in the wrong direction so that it can flow uniformly through the line. But sometimes faulty or damaged wires or electric fixtures can cause the current to escape the line.
As a result, the current look for the shortest route to return to the ground. If the outlet is grounded, it returns the current to earth without causing any serious damage. However, if the outlet is ungrounded and you touch the wires or the electric items at that time, your body serves as a shortcut route to the ground.
So, the current flow will through your body which means you will experience a high electric shock. It can cause serious damage to your body and even possibly kill you. This is why this matter shouldn’t be ignored and taken care of at once.
Damaging Electric Items
When any electrical item is connected to an ungrounded outlet, it is exposed to any power surges in the electric line. As there is no ground wire connected to them, when a current higher than it can withstand passes through them, it is most likely to short out that item.
Sometimes, short circuit sparks can happen that can cause heavy damage to your electric equipment. It can fry your tv, pc or damage its components.
A tangled and messy mixture of wires can indicate a combination of grounded and ungrounded wirings. Generally, in older homes, you can find these kinds of wirings that show the sign of piecemeal electric work being done. This type of situation can easily create a seriously dangerous situation.
So, all the wirings must be grounded to avoid such situations.
Can you plug a surge protector into a 2 prong outlet?
If you want a literal answer to this question then the answer is that you can plug a surge protector into a 2 prong outlet. Now the real question is whether the surge protector will work on a 2 prong outlet. Then the answer is no. Surge protectors don’t work on a 2 prong outlet.
In the early 1900s, homes were built with 2 prong outlets. As everything has been developed after that, new homes are also built with updated 3 prong outlets. In 3 prong outlets, there are 3 main wires-hot wire, a neutral wire, and a grounding wire. But, the 2 prong outlets only have the hot wire and neutral wire.
So basically, the 2 prong outlets aren’t grounded as they don’t have the grounding wire. But we already know that surge protectors only work on outlets that have a grounding wire. So, it is safe to say that surge protectors don’t work on 2 prong outlets. Simply swapping a 2 prong outlet with 3 prong outlet doesn’t work either.
Does a surge protector have to be plugged into the wall?
All surge protectors are bound to go through NRTL testing that determines whether it’s capable of safely running the designed electric equipment. It also determines a specific power unto which the protector can safely run. Otherwise, it voids the general safety term of the listing.
According to this listing, it is recommended that surge protectors should be directly plugged into the wall outlets. plugging the protectors into cord extensions or other surge protectors is considered dangerous and can lead to further risky situations. This is why all surge protectors have to be plugged into the wall.
What is Zero Surge Protector
Zero surge protector is a surge protector manufactured by the company Zero Surge. This protector is claimed to never have gone through a surge failure. So, this ensures that your electrical equipment isn’t fried because of a power surge.
The zero surge protector is specially designed to withstand any amount of power surges. So, even the worst of the surges can’t pass through. Besides, it stops any EMI/RFI noise disturbances from getting into the power line. So, there are barely any spikes in the line.
Frequently Asked Question
Q: How do I know if my surge protector is doing its job or not?
Ans: Most surge protectors are built in a way that safely cuts the power when out of service. So, you know that it’s not working and it’s time to replace it with a new one.
Q: Can I replace my 2 prong outlets with a 3 prong?
Ans: Yes. But for that, you need to contact expert electricians to do the job. Also, simply swapping the 2 prong outlets with 3 prong outlets doesn’t work. In fact, that increases the chance of electrical hazards.
Q: How large can power surges get?
Ans: Power surge inside a building can reach up to 6000 volts and 3000 amperes.
Random power surges in the electricity line can really fuck up your electric items at home. But you can solve this problem by setting up a surge protector with the line. However, this will only work if the outlet you are using is grounded. In any other case, the surge protector can’t provide any protection against the surges.
Also Read- What Does Hot Neutral Reverse Mean